Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Introduction


I am a student of Turkish and Ottoman history, and I like to read literature, especially short stories. I also enjoy translating Turkish into my native tongue, English.

There are a handful of Turkish authors who have had a significant portion of their work translated. Many more have had translations of a few selections from their work appear in an anthology or periodical. Most Turkish authors are not available in English translation at all. 

This blog will mostly consist of my translations of shorter pieces and excerpts from longer pieces which have not yet been published in English translation.

First, I would like to point the way to some resources for finding published translations of Turkish literature. The following bibliographies may not be entirely up-to-date but they give a pretty good idea of what is available:

Here is a list prepared by Professor Selim Kuru of University of Washington, Seattle. 

Here is a shorter bibliography including translations published between 1989 and 2006, prepared by two professors at Boğaziçi University.

In addition to my own translations, I will also post news of newly published translations of Turkish literature.

I may also post occasionally about other topics related to Turkish and Ottoman culture and history.

If you want to suggest a particular short story or excerpt from a longer piece for this blog, please email me at turkishtoenglishtranslations@gmail.com. Other comments and questions are welcome as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment